Friday, February 13, 2009

Fair Weather

The attendance for Wednesday’s game between the University of Cincinnati and St. Johns drew a crowd of 8 thousand. 5000 empty seat backs enjoyed clear views of a UC win, their sixth in the last eight. For a team on the rise, fighting for every basket, it was a disappointing turnout.

The coach thanked those in attendance, though the gesture was more a back-handed scold at those who failed to purchase a ticket. Sportscasters wondered aloud “where are the fans”? Callers had answers. Some blamed the economy. Some said they were not sure what to make of this team. Some said they were just becoming fans again, and could not yet pay to see. And some still claim bitterness for the expulsion of Bob Huggins and defiance to the Scholastic mechanism that allowed it to happen.

None of those reasons hit the mark. The fact is Cincinnati is a fair weather town. It is that simple. And in sports parlance, “fair weather” is a nasty little label. A curse word. An insult. In no way could THE Queen City, a dwelling so fair and true, be a respite for such a despicable human as the fair weather fan. It must be the evil President Zimpher, and a protest over her reign, that is keeping the Great Bearcat fan away.

Nope. Cincinnati is a fair weather town. And I am here to tell you that is not an insult. Not a scar to be hidden. In fact, it should be worn as a badge of honor. This town does not support a loser. This town does not rush, giggling with money flying from their hands, at the first glimpse of decency. A team has to win, and keep winning. The UC fan knows the difference between beating a reeling Georgetown team and powerhouse Pittsburgh.

Only in sports is the term fair weather even uttered. In all other mediums, it is called being a sensible consumer. I love Robert Downey Jr. But if he snaps off a movie and I can’t get excited about the previews, and some critics I respect deem it a stinker, I am not going to buy a ticket. I don't see the virtue in the blind following of anything; irregardless of performance.

I love Cincinnati sports. I follow the teams, in every way imaginable. But I am not going down with the ship. If the Reds are 30 games out in August, I am not buying any more tickets. If the Bengals are 2-10, I am not going to sit in the November cold and watch them play. If the Cats are 10-20 down the stretch, I am emotionally disconnected.

I used to feel guilt, and take responsibility, when I would see a sparse crowd supporting my team. And there I would be, sitting on my couch. Part of the problem. But no more. I do more than enough. And if the teams keep winning, I will do more. And so will everybody else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home