Thursday, June 14, 2007

tepid

If I could use one word to describe the crowd at GABP Wednesday night it would be tepid. Almost 30K in the park and I could have carried a conversation with a friend sitting in the moon deck if I was in the left field bleachers. During crucial parts of the game, the top of the 6th after the Reds had taken the lead and Kyle Lohse was facing Vladimir Guerrero with two men on, I cheered like a fan should. Nothing obnoxious, no cussing, just words of encouragement for the Reds pitcher. And people were looking at me like I was yapping on my cell phone during a movie.

The people who attend Reds game have become THOSE FANS. Come late, leave early and display a general feeling of disinterest towards what is happening on the field. The only times a buzz ripples through the crowd is during the following:

1. Kiss Cam
2. The Wave
3. A clip of child baseball bloopers that has been shown for 2 years
4. If the Jumbotron specifically implores the fans to make noise

It's amateur hour at GABP and a little embarrassing. I never thought it would happen in Cincinnati.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home