Thursday, February 15, 2007

snowstorm Pitt style

OK, I have this HUGE rubber essay I am working on but in the meantime I feel the mind dump of a late-20s man who is on the road in a Mid-major town that he has been put in unwillingly may be interesting. So here we go…

At the client. They are nice enough. They want the project to work. I am out of my mind because I imagine a cash register floating next to my head and it is adding up fast. I stare blankly. This happens a lot.

Tonight I had a night alone in Pittsburgh. I immediately made plans to go to Pitt campus (I deduced that downtown Pittsburgh was a ghost town on the week nights). I went to a bar&grill that served pizzas. I bought one and watched girls sipping on sodas. I was wearing a corduroy jacket and looked like a creepy English professor. I ate my food and talked to the bartender about baseball – the Reds specifically. He was jolted when I broke down Adam Dunn. He thought he was the star of the Reds.

And while we are here, let me just say, I am poutful (word?) knowing that I have to watch (let alone cheer for… let alone COUNT ON BEING THE OFFENSIVE POWERS OF THE TEAM) Adam FUCKING Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. slob around the outfield another season. The thought of a deep drive into left-center, and observing those two pigs chasing the pill with disdain, makes me physically ill. The day Griffey walks away from this team, I dance alone in the street. In joy.

Whatever. I eventually went to a bar called ‘Hemmingways’, which is classic. At least to me. I worship Hemmingway (I think… I like his books but the idea of Hemmingway is probably more enticing..) so I went to this bar immediately. This IS the University of Pittsburgh bar. And I was standing in the middle with a cloud of furry hair, a smoking jacket, and a look of old that reeked of ‘ex-hipster’. I wanted every group of girl, who came neatly in packages of three. The dudes were terrible and I thought I would be a beacon of light that the moths would attract to. I was wrong. As usual. I stood in the middle and was brushed by like I was not there. So I eventually left. Nobody noticed.

And I drove home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home