Monday, November 20, 2006

42-39

I guess this is what winning – and winning consistently – does to you. I never felt the fear during the OSU-Michigan game. I never considered a Buckeye loss. It was not fathomable. And afterwards I was not so much euphoric as I was full, like I just stuffed myself at a buffet. I did not want to celebrate – I wanted to take a nap.

The game was great. The action moved and for once, I did not even notice the awful TV timeouts. The surroundings were too sparkling to notice. And I love when games start in the day time and end at night. It gives the contest the feel of a play, with two distinct acts. The noise level was where it needed to be and at all the right spots. We had been there before.

After the game my dad and I watched the college kids storm the field. I took a mental picture and remembered to soak it in. It did not come naturally.

Walking to my car the people we weaved through seemed subdued. It had been a long day. 8 hours of drinking and 81 points sucks it out of people. Though we were on the peaceful side of the moon – we never braved the Lane Avenue melee.

So now OSU is going to play Southern California (USC is going to win out and they will vault Michigan) in 50 days. I am not sure what is worse – the 2 ½ month layoff or the fact the game plays on a Monday night. I just hope I will learn to enjoy this more in a couple days. Right now I am just empty and wondering how long OSU can stay on top.

This is what happens when you root for Goliath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home