Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Skydiving

10.5.2005

I had never been skydiving before. Or bungee jumping. In fact, my feet start to tingle when I look over a tall balcony. But I have always wanted to skydive. I like the idea of PURPOSELY falling from a high altitude – just not accidentally. I was determined to dive in Australia. A friend told me to look into the ‘Dive the Beach’ option out of Wollongong. This dive actually drops you off over the ocean and glides into land. Sounded good to me.

Wollongong is a mellow beach town 60 kilometers south of Sydney. A leisurely train ride brought me to the stop. The Sydney rail system is fast, clean and efficient. As instructed, I called the dive office and they said a limousine would be there to pick me up post haste. I was a little thrown by their blatant sarcasm. And then, 15 minutes later, a rickety white limo zoomed around the corner and screeched to a halt in front me. A girl in a tank top jumped out of the driver’s seat and waved me in. We were off before I could sit down. The interior was red plush and deliciously awful. The radio was pounding and the wild driver tried to shout over it. I had no idea what she was saying but shouted back with ‘YES!’ and ‘Uh huh!’ On instinct, I searched the back for a mini-bar that wasn’t there.

We drove to the office that was next to an oval grass field. The landing spot. I barely got my second foot out of the limousine before my first foot was jammed into a jump suit. Then I was stepping into a harness. Straps were tightened and belts fastened. I was then shaking hands with the man I would be strapped to while falling from the sky. He introduced himself as ‘Wildman’. Comforting. Here was our first exchange:

Wildman: OK man, here’s how it is going to be. You’ll scoot to the opening of the plane hatch and hang your legs out like this. Then you’ll cross your arms in front of your chest and lean backwards. I will push us out and after 5 seconds, I will tap you and you’ll spread your arms like this. You got that?

Me: No.

Wildman: GREAT! Well, let’s head to the airport – you can fill out your paperwork on the way.

So me, another couple and our three dive masters were on the highway heading towards an airport. For recreational divers, you have to tandem dive. The dive master hooks themselves to your backside (you basically spoon) and takes care of the parachute and landing. Our dive masters looked like extras from ‘Point Break’. I signed my life away on the forms – Wildman signed as my witness. It was calming to know that when my mother received my death certificate, she would be consoled with the knowledge that I struck the earth at 120MPH with a man name Wildman strapped to my back.

The divers were funny guys. We talked about base-jumping. All laughs on the way to the airport. The couple was in good spirits. These guys jump out of a plane about four times a day so for them, this is as nerve-wracking as crossing the street. We arrived at the airport and immediately jumped on a little crop duster. The girl at the controls could not have been older than 21. There were no seats in the plane. We were off the ground in 2 minutes. No pre-flight checks or safety instructions. There was no time to think, let alone be scared. We started to climb. 14,000 feet was the dropping point. I kept glancing at the altitude gauge like it was a running taxi meter. This was happening. Now.

Wildman ran through the jumping and landing instructions again. Good enough. He then asked me if I wanted to steer the parachute once it was released. I said yes, but I did not know how. He told me he would train me. Train? We’re at 10,000 feet! He positioned himself behind me and I could hear the sounds of clicking hooks and tightening straps. We were over the ocean now. I could see the white coast line stretching north and south. I could just barely make out the Sydney skyline. The ocean was vast as always. I was not nervous. Just overwhelmed. The straps were tight and locked in. It was time.

The dive master connected to the woman yanked the door open. The wind came pouring in as the pilot angled the jumping side wing down so it would be easy for us to spill out. The woman was set to go first. She wiggled to the edge of the door and there she was; an arms length from me (my palms are sweating writing this). And then she was gone. She was just gone. This is the moment I got scared. What the hell was I doing? But it was too late. Then the man was gone. My cargo and I (in truth, I was his cargo) scooted to the door and I swung my legs out. One deep breath. Arms on chest. Lean back. Airborne.

My eyes have never been this wide open. Hurtling down towards the ground. Absolute sensory overload. The fear was overcome by exhilaration and I shouted into the wind. Wildman pulled a mini-parachute (about the size of a big jelly fish) to slow us down a touch (two people in tandem have the same surface area as one with twice the weight, so you have to slow down a bit or the big parachute will burst when opened) – I didn’t notice. Free fall. On orders, my arms and legs were limp so I could be maneuvered. Wildman yanked my right arm back and we spun clockwise in a tight circle. Yanked my left and we went the other way. Then he pulled my legs back and went shooting downwards at a 45 degree angle. The ground was getting closer. My brain could not process it all. Speed. I was out of my mind. 50 seconds of pure free-fall. The main parachute was released and the break was quite jarring. It felt like I was going to sever free from my carrier. I didn’t. At the slower speed I could really take in the ocean, coastline and lazy town of Wollongong. I grabbed the straps and spun us around in circles. It was stunning. As we neared the landing spot, Wildman took over and guided us in. I had to lift my legs to my chest at the end. Perfect landing. It was over and all I wanted to do was go again. I did not know what to do with myself.
Disengaged from Wildman, I gave him a bear hug that startled him. All laughs and smiles and then he stomped away. I was left there standing with my heart thumping. What now? My straps were removed, stepped out of my jumper and that was it. I wanted more. I understand the addiction. I was handed my stuff and was back in the limo again. All I wanted was more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home